Tuesday 19 July 2011

I came across this while looking for something else (I can no longer remember what) and I puzzled for a couple of minutes wondering who could have made this drawing that set my heart aflutter. A good drawing of Zatanna is not easy to pull off. Google image search and you'll see a great number of drawings that cheapen the character. It occurred to me that there's only one artist who could have done it. Alex Ross.


A further google search with his name attached confirmed it.
It's one of those pictures where if I try to analyze it, it begins to fall apart in my hand. Those proportions can't be right, it seems to be a combination of conflicting planes, etc. Then I catch a glimpse of it half an hour later still on my screen, and I swoon all over again.

Zatanna at DC Wikia (found here)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Berliac said...

Hi.

Almost off-topic:

if you're using Firefox, go to Google, to the image search tab. Then from your computer or the web drag any image to the Google search bar. It will display the image + each of its location on the web and also a very weird "similar pictures" section, based on the colors mostly. It's really funny sometimes. But always remember to do it on the Google image search.

Have a nice day.

19 July 2011 at 23:44:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

For a second, I thought you had done it. You pull the same shadow techniques around the eyes sometimes. I'm at Comic Con tomorrow, so I'll stop by his booth and see if I can take some snaps of other Zatanna works. You should really check out Ross' 12 part fully painted epic Justice, if you haven't already. I read it, then went back and just poured over each and every painted page for hours. Hey, I just realized that you never gave us a story behind Ross' Bacchus portrait.

20 July 2011 at 17:52:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Nick said...

I think that might look quite terrifying from the other side.

25 July 2011 at 09:09:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home