Sunday 26 June 2011

The Spaniard in the Works * (part 1)

In April I was a guest at the Barcelona comics convention. Hayley Campbell came over from London to meet up with me. She wrote about the event for the Comics Journal.





I like that in Spain comics get covered by the press as a regular subject without the attendant embarrassment you get in the English speaking world. Here is a report in JOT DOWN, 'contemporary culture mag' of a very complicated panel on autobiography in comics in which each participant had their own translator.

Since June the previous year, Astiberri have published four of my books in Spain, or three separate works if you allow that Alec is in two volumes. The others are El Destino del Artista and El Black Diamond Detective Agencia. So I was hoping and expecting to do a bunchof interviews, and I did. the splendid blog Entrecomics wanted an interview.**
"I'd like to talk about the graphic novel," said the very likeable El tio Berni.
"oh oh" I thought, glancing to see if I could make a clear run for the exit...

(to be continued)

translation notes.
* to my Spanish brethren: 'to throw a spanner in the works' means to deliberately cause trouble. 'A Spaniard in the works' is a play on that expression, written by John Lennon as the title of a book (1965).
** the google translation of the intro to that interview gives me a fabulous white 'toupee' instead of a 'quiff'. At least you have your health, as everybody's mother would say.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Santiago García said...

Oh oh, this looks promising.

26 June 2011 at 17:01:00 GMT-5  
Blogger TEBEOBIEN said...

'very likeable el tío berni', bah, you've fallen short. 'extremely lovable el tío berni'. right, the world must know this point.

26 June 2011 at 17:27:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Pablo, indeed you are correct.

Santiago, yes, I've had this simmering for a week or two. Should be ready to serve over the next few days.

26 June 2011 at 17:40:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Pepo Pérez said...

Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

26 June 2011 at 17:48:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Rob Price said...

Thank you for blogging again, Mr. Campbell.

27 June 2011 at 18:28:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home