Thursday 27 November 2008

Our TV adventure, so far- part 7

i've been quiet on this subject for a month as I'm almost up to date on developments. It was about two months ago that we shot a two and a half minute demonstration film based on the Snooter story. You will recall that the beastie flew in our window one humid night.


It bit me and caused me some medical grief and I decided to have a midlife crisis. Later it flew in Bruce W@yne's window...


...and he decided to become a hideous creature of the night, a big insectoid nag with Snooter attributes including the long curly proboscis.



The setting was Campbell's supposed bedroom in a house rented for the day, and Campbell played himself. Mrs Campbell played herself too, though all she had to do was pretend to be asleep all day Saturday. Apparently she actually dozed off for a while, as somebody told her something and she afterwards had no recollection of it. Being a novice in this situation, it was weird being in bed with seven or eight other people in the room, the director, photographer, sound guy and all the rest, with blacked out windows in daytime ('I guess a shag's out of the question,' said the wife of my bosom, quoting somebody, probably Austin Powers). The beastie was added in later using computer animation. The guys did a beautiful job of getting it just right, with its little dangly insect legs. On the next day, Sunday, we shot some stuff in the studio against the green screen. Here's a still I took. What you can just about see is the guy in the Snooter costume with the pink dishwashing gloves and all (There are better photos but the producers are keeping them under wraps). Christiaan, the young actor wearing it, is about six foot eight. It was specially made by Adam Head and it's a really strange feeling after all these years to see something like this actually physically put together. One of the producers meanwhile is keeping it in his wardrobe at home. If there are any midnight Snooter sightings, let me know and I'll give him a serious talking to.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger spacedlaw said...

Wow this is some really serious stuff. A costume and cinema magic! I still think a cartoon might have been more appropriate for the little (or not so little) obnoxious creature.

27 November 2008 at 09:53:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Nicki Greenberg said...

Cool! How exciting. Looking forward very much to seeing it some day when it hits the screen.

27 November 2008 at 17:39:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Matthew Adams said...

I have actually seen the Snooter lit up eerily by the moonlight, bounding from rooftop to rooftop. He was lamenting that rooftop bounding was not as exciting in the suburbs as it would be amongst tall highrises in the city. Then he slipped of a roof into someones yard to be hid from view by a fence and mauled by a savage dog. The Snooter is a snooter even unto himself.

27 November 2008 at 19:19:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I recently bought up a ton of Alec at Top Shelf, and man, "After the Snooter" is so good. It's the best mid-life crisis in comics that I can think of. (Batman gets new cars all the time... you can't count those.)

I'm imagining disappointment when I see it televised, though. Two reasons: the comic is always better, and also, if it does turn out that the TV show is good, I won't ruin it anyway through high expectations. I'm enjoying the story of the production, though, and I'll certainly watch it if I can see it in the US ever.

1 December 2008 at 12:19:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home