Wednesday 13 August 2008

on the same night as the Comic Con panel I described in my previous post, my First Second stablemate Nick Abadzis took the Eisner Award for 'best publication for teens' as displayed on his personal blog (I don't recall this category from previous years, which tends to support the theory I was spouting yesterday). And well deserved it was too. A magnificent work, if you haven't already read it. I toasted him from the end of the long table at the First Second dinner on the following night, and he toasted me back, and we went for cleansing ales afterwards, except for Best who ran out in a panic while I was in the rest room, searching for me in vain in the streets of San Diego. If you bump into him , tell him to come home. Nick's research for the project included a trip to Russia. Here he is in Moscow, from a photo I nicked from his excellent guest blog spot at First Second's site, which is full of his spontaneous sketches and notations.


And here is Nick in a youtube cut from last year's SPX, an interview by Scott Rosenberg*, at the time of his book's release:



*The same chap interviewed me on the Monday after the con, by phone in my hotel room in Chicago, about the Amazing Remarkable Monsieur Leotard for NY paper AM, and it was syndicated around the place, here in Newsday.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Agreed! Laika is fucking brilliant.

13 August 2008 at 08:02:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eddie,

Nick here - just to say it was an absolute pleasure to hang out with you in San Diego. Back when I was working as a humble shopfloor assistant at Forbidden Planet in Denmark Street in 1986, there were two inspirational comics: Love & Rockets and Alec. Alec meant more in many ways, because it was by a British cartoonist. You showed the way. Thanks for the kind words about Laika: probably sounds a little 'emo', but if you hadn't lit the spark, I doubt it, or Hugo Tate, would ever have existed. It means a lot to be labelmates! Thank you, and I look forward to the next time we can share a few ales.

16 August 2008 at 17:10:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Hi Hayley!

16 August 2008 at 17:12:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

'allo Nick! Wave wave.

18 August 2008 at 04:39:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home