Tuesday 18 September 2007

bit parts

Spot Campbell's pals. This isn't something I go looking for, but at the same time I enjoy it when it comes up. I'm talking about the odd occasion when I draw a few pages in a superhero comic-book published by Marvel or DC. Just counting off the top of my noodle, I think I've appeared in maybe thirteen individual books from the 'big two', including a complete art and writing job, a 2-issue art job and a 4-issue writing job, and assorted guest spots of three, five and eight pages. Here are a couple of panels that have similarities in that the two writers each kindly allowed me a crowded bar scene and I took the liberty of putting all my pals in it. First one is page 1, panel from an Orion five page back-up scripted by Walt Simonson. Far left, that's White doing the goggles effect when he plays 'dambusters', a game in which you hum the theme tune of the old Dambusters war movie and then pretend you're the bomber flying in low to cripple the Mohne dam in May 1943. The dam is a beer jug on the floor and the bomb is a 50 cent coin clenched between the buttocks. If you can't picture it, ask hayley campbell; I have heard that she brought the house down recently in London with a demonstration during a dinner party attended by several comedy writers (email her for bookings).


Left to right you can also see Staros, Minty Moore, Evans tipping the dancer, and me and Mullins. Pete Mullins chipped in on this job for me. The two dancing girls were drawn by him. This was in 2001. In the same year I drew an 8-page guest spot in X-men #400. Joe Casey successfully wrote me into the special issue in such a way that I didn't have to draw a superhero, if you don't count Wolverine with his shirt off. In the villain's history in flashback there's an old-time scene in the bar of a gentlemen's club. I'm on the left, White's behind the bar. Mullins is wearing a bow-tie and Evans is just arriving.


When you have to draw a bunch of people in a crowd scene it's useful to use people you know just to get a sense of assorted personalities in order to avoid falling back on stock types. Otherwise, it's self indulgence and this is a blog.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

as promised

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_9841.html

Great Angel episode of the Rockford files today.

18 September 2007 at 03:54:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, in the Orion panel, from left to right:

Staros, me, Marcus, Mick, Duds (black shirt), Cheese ball Costanzo (under the table), Breach (with the goatee), You, Pete (with sun glasses), Alan Moore, and (possibly) Matt Bell (with the bottle held high).

Those were the days... Oh how we laughed...


...Sigh...

18 September 2007 at 05:37:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

CHEESEBALL COSTANZO!

I thought it was Tosh from The Bill.

18 September 2007 at 06:15:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Close ;-)

18 September 2007 at 07:17:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That also looks like me with a gotee in x men, but I could be seeing things.

The first one is based on Chalky's bucks night isn't it?

18 September 2007 at 19:43:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that spurious beard...

18 September 2007 at 19:48:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Was it Terry Austin who liked to hide Popeye in crowd scenes? Or, rather, NOT hide him so well.

19 September 2007 at 00:42:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home