Thursday 12 July 2007

Breakfast news.

F rom the files. I used to design my own wine label every Christmas. I'd buy a case of unlabelled wine, or 'cleanskins', and glue my own label onto each bottle. This particular year's booty was a red obviously. Under our auspices it became 'Blood of Bacchus'. I'm sure it went down well. I can't remember what year it was, what region it came from, or what grape went into the making of it. Nobody presented me with tasting notes. No anecdotes, no problems, no phone calls, no rescue missions, no involvement of the constabulary, no nothing.
Why can't it always be like that ?

(unlike the next story)
Lee Paul C. in comments yesterday linked to: Drunk horsejacker leaves two injured-By Ben Parsons
A drunk woman caused chaos when she hijacked a horse-drawn wedding carriage and ran down a one-legged man on a mobility scooter. The shire horses were standing outside a pub when the woman and her daughter clambered aboard and whipped them into bolting. They knocked a disabled man off his scooter and ran over one of the horses' owners as the animals headed off down the road.
I must be getting old, as I'm just thinking about all the needless damage.

*******
Noticed by our pal Chris Breach: The indefatigable Everett True is blogging at the Village Voice and is lamenting the passing of PUNK PLANET magazine:
I appreciated the fact it didn't slip into ready cynicism (people confuse criticism with cynicism too often) and its questioning heart, its thirst for knowledge, the way columnists such as Jessica Hopper would write, unencumbered by the desire to impress. I liked the fact it gave over whole issues to the print media, visual artists. It mattered to me: it was an ideal to aspire to. And now it’s gone after 80 issues and 13 years
They've illustrated the piece with my Nick Cave cover for #57.
********
The traffic at Johnny C's blog goes off the graph when he shows all the pictures from this old article:
In 1947 Life Magazine asked some famous comic strip artists to to draw their famous characters while wearing a blindfold.
"Artist Graff even managed to get necktie dots on coat lapel and cigaret in left ear."

(link via Hemlockman)
******
Police seize magic trick from preacher.-Jul 10.-KAMPALA (Reuters)
The Electric Touch device is usually sold in magic shops alongside card tricks, magic coins and disappearing balls.
"People could be duped to think it is a miracle," the New Vision quoted Civil Aviation Authority security chief Herman Owomugisha as saying.

***********

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger spacedlaw said...

What ? No comment on this post ?
Has every one gone DEAD ?
(More like they got jealous that you get to have your own wine with self made labels...)

Here's a little spam to liven up the post.
Yesterday (courtesy of Boingboing) I stumbled upon the site of Punshingdaisies on Boingboing.
Originaly attracted here by the promise of skull shaped cupcake tins, I was completely hooked by the wacky humour of the place and in particular this ... errrr ... lovely toilet brush...
And that was before realizing that Mc Phee is selling brain shaped jello molds too !

13 July 2007 at 00:39:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Nathalie
this is the second time you have saved one of my posts from going friendless.
and one of those links I'll tie into my post tomorrow
thanks

13 July 2007 at 17:15:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

My pleasure. I don't comment often but I certainly read all your posts.

14 July 2007 at 01:14:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home