Sunday 8 July 2007

About drawing paper. (part 6)

Addendum to yesterday's post. This is the 'gold' paper I mentioned. I saved it for the page in The Black Diamond Detective Agency showing the flying exit from the the undergorund tunnels into the muted ochre glow of the morning sunlight. I've exaggerated the contrast in this scan of the back of the paper in order to show up that marbled pattern. If you've seen the page in question (124) you can almost imagine the composition forming in the abstract pattern you see here. The gouache white of the cloud of snow above takes on a very blue-cold quality against the warm ground. And once again, the brown gum-tape at the side. I only had one sheet of this, which means I must have spoiled the other (can't reacall). To continue the effect on the page following this one I had to sponge a page of stretched white watercolour paper with an ochre wash.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger spacedlaw said...

Did you notice any inconsistancy in ink absorbtion in relation with the nebula pattern, when painting on it ?

8 July 2007 at 02:27:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Natali,
no, this paper was a charm to work on. Some others I tried were too dry, too absorbent.
I know what you mean though... sometimes with a printed pattern it sits above the paper, like wax.. but thesemarks are buried under the surface, not printed on.

9 July 2007 at 21:41:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home