Thursday 5 April 2007

"I am not a whole-souled admirer of womankind, as you are aware, Watson, but..."

H appy Birthday to the wife of my bosom. The above was taken shortly after Anne and I met twenty five years ago.

"Exactly. She does not shine as a wife even in her own account of what occurred. I am not a whole-souled admirer of womankind, as you are aware, Watson, but my experience of life has taught me that there are few wives having any regard for their husbands who would let any man's spoken word stand between them and that husband's dead body. Should I ever marry, Watson, I should hope to inspire my wife with some feeling which would prevent her from being walked off by a housekeeper when my corpse was lying within a few yards of her."
- Sherlock Holmes in The Valley of Fear

(it's the only quote I can find that isn't soppy.)

waitaminnit, it's the phone.
Hi, Honeybee. Eh? You expected something more heartfelt?
hey, i thought you couldn't access the net at work!
Wha? You'll deal with me when you get home? okay, darlyboos. I'm looking forward to it.
And thanks for roning.
oh dear.
hmm.. let's move some of these blunt objects out of here....

Actually, that's just wishful thinking on my part; she's treating herself to an afternnoon at the five star spa, and getting one of those 'big kahuna' massages. That's where the guy drowns you in unguents, pummels you to within an inch of your life and then grabs, as the wife put it, 'big armfuls of bum.' The previous time she had one of those she came out of it in a state of amnesia and wandered around blankly for the rest of the evening until somebody got her address out of her purse and put her in a taxi.

I shall await anxiously on the veranda.
&hearts

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is there a sepia-toned equivalent photo of you?

5 April 2007 at 01:06:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

"What is love worth, if we are not willing to suffer for it? ...and they do make us suffer." I once said that to a friend of mine, after he had had a row with his trouble and strife. He liked it so much that I've always kept it in mind. You've been talked about quite a bit, as of late, at these links, by the way:
http://media41b.libsyn.com/podcasts/afe818bfb05b9b1e3c2a1bc4ddc37b2a/46149cb4/fanboyradio/fbr_379.mp3
http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2007/04/04/campbell-on-lettering/#comments

5 April 2007 at 01:56:00 GMT-5  
Blogger mrjslack said...

Happy birthday to the Mammy.
A well-deserved day of pampering sounds just the ticket for that saucy minx.

mister J.

5 April 2007 at 01:58:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

My goodness but you're a lucky man, Eddie Campbell!!!

;})>

5 April 2007 at 02:19:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a merry month for the family. have fun, all!

5 April 2007 at 02:40:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

OO-ER!

Happy birthday to the Mammy. Nothin' more understandin' than a mammy's lovin' heart...

xxx

5 April 2007 at 04:13:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

"big kahuna massage"?

I can imagine Samuel L. Jackson waxing profane on that subject.

5 April 2007 at 05:32:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

What a cute, fun photo! I hope that Anne has a wonderful birthday!!

"Armfuls of bum" love that quote...

5 April 2007 at 14:43:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home