Monday 5 February 2007

Oh Bloody blatherin' poo!

I'm taking it easy today after two days of monster posting. This would have to be my favourite cover from the 60-issue run of the old Bacchus comic book. It represents the exact moment when you remember what you said/did last night, and I thought it would make a jolly thing to greet you with on this monday morning as you get back into the weekly grind. It is exactly how I imagine my pal *****'s wife (*for I am nothing if not a gentleman) felt on Saturday morning after her, uh... monologue, at the restaurant on friday night. Of course it must be said that her husband too is no stranger to the ill-considered tirade. What larks.
That cover in turn reminds me of the days when I used to imagine myself to be a publisher. For those who haven't read After the Snooter, the five page piece titled "Running a publishing house out of the front room' is still readable online at my old defunct website thanks to the Internet archive Wayback machine. I've put a permanent link in the sidebar if you want to go rummaging in the old site. I've put a lot of other links in there too. When you reach that moment of utter despair this morning when you realise somebody forgot to replace the tea and coffee supplies, check out the gallery of amusements at the foot, or you can amuse yourselves by thinking of me painting on my sunny veranda with my iced fruit juice on the side. I'd rather you thought of me that way than as the nitwit in the picture.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

Why, that's me (thinking on my past) almost every day. As a matter of fact, almost everything I read in your books, eather has happend to me, is happening, or (I'm sure) will happen to me at some point. I've gone from the Black Lipstick Curse to the Campbell curse. By the way... How do you do all that side bar stuff?

5 February 2007 at 03:07:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was the first issue I ever bought! And then it ended, not long after. A shame -- it was a fun, odd, very dense and entertaining little publication.

I can't remember the specific issue, but there was an excellent piece called 'The Crow' -- one of those miscellaneous strips that was purportedly drawn in your youthful small press days -- LOST TO TIME, UNTIL NOW! -- but of course wasn't. (Am I wrong?)

I remembered it just now, and am wondering, are you ever going to collect those bits and pieces into a volume? Even if you just printed a few hundred copies and sold it via this blog, I think it would be worthwhile. There was some really good stuff in Bacchus Magazine. I'd hate to see it LOST TO TIME... again?

You'd have to dedicate it to Bunny, of course.

5 February 2007 at 04:54:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

thanks, chaps.

Crow will appear again, have no fear.
and as for Bunny, check photo hoax#2 on the right there.

eddie

5 February 2007 at 05:15:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Chris McLaren said...

I've always liked that cover.

I think it perfectly captures that moment when you have "the shames"--as my pal Betsy calls that moment.

Cheers,

C.

5 February 2007 at 07:56:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

Damn it all Campbell, that series was ace. I'm going to dig it out and read it all again.

5 February 2007 at 09:07:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Wizard of Us said...

Ah, How To Be An Artist, featuring one of the most surprising and hilarious punchlines ever ("Bugger all that hocus-pocus...")

I've only ever read the first Bacchus collection, but I keep meaning to seek out more.

5 February 2007 at 12:39:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That wee strip about publishing from your front room was great. I spotted yer' interview in the Comics Journal (some time back methinks) which I thoroughly enjoyed too. Enjoying the blog also.
Cheers!

5 February 2007 at 17:01:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'The Crow' -- one of those miscellaneous strips that was purportedly drawn in your youthful small press days -- LOST TO TIME, UNTIL NOW! -- but of course wasn't. (Am I wrong?)

Escape #9, 1987; rep. The Cheque, Mate, 1992.

5 February 2007 at 20:39:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Good god. I didn't realize Bacchus had run for 60 issues! Damn.

I gather self-publishing ain't all it's supposed to be. The "Kitchen Sink went belly up owing us $15K" bit was rather tough to read.

5 February 2007 at 21:27:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Escape #9, 1987; rep. The Cheque, Mate, 1992.

Well, shit.

6 February 2007 at 06:47:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home